Ear, Nose and Throat Expert Forum
sudden loss of gag reflex after TIA

Questions in the Ear, Nose and Throat expert forum are answered by medical professionals and experts. Discussions should relate to ear, nose and throat issues, ear infections, nasal polyps, sore throats, and swollen glands.

sudden loss of gag reflex after TIA

What causes the loss of gag reflex? I always had a good reflex but after a TIA I no longer have a gag reflex, and have
esphogeal dysmotility diagnosed by mammatry and upper GI studies. In addition to the swallowing problems, I also developed tinnitus in both ears. Can both loss of gag reflex and tinnititus be caused by the TIAs? I was told by a ENT doctor that I had lost all my high pitched hearing as well.  I have not been exposed to any loud noise to account for it.  Can one's hearing also be affected by ministrokes or strokes?  Thank you for your time.
It is possible to have any number of neurological deficits from having a stroke.  TIA's are thought to have reversible dysfunction.  A full work up by your neurologist and a work up for the tinnitus by an ent doctor would be prudent.