Ear Disorders Expert Forum
Bizarre symptoms

Questions in the Ear Disorders forum are answered by Dr. Eric Wilkinson. Topics include acoustic neuroma, skull base tumors, hearing loss, cochlear implants, stapes surgery, eardrum repair, chronic ear infection, facial nerve problems, childhood deafness, vertigo, balance disorders, and tinnitus.

Bizarre symptoms

Hi, I'm a 30 year old male. Starting 3 years ago, I began having a constant dull headache ALL the time. It debilitated me.  At the same time, my ears were also feeling full and I would have blurred vision with unstable vertigo which occurs in the supine position only.   I have those symptoms to this day, the headache is the worst of all. On MRI, a benign 3.5 x 2.5 cm supraorbital bone lesion was seen, it doesn't affect my vision and there was alot of question was this really causing my 24/7 headache. The ear specialist skull base surgeon is the one who diagnosed me with that bone lesion.  Neurosurgery refused to operate citing questionable source of my symptoms, even though the skull base surgeon/ENT told me if I just can't go on I'd get it taken out.  

So for 2 years I was confused and stumped.

Then, 6 months ago, I started having new symptoms of intense lightheaded spells, with weakness, and I've become severely fatigued lately with a constant hard to explain feeling of nauseating energy in my gut. When I have a lightheaded spell I also have a hollow feeling in my chest, and a sinking feeling in my gut with sudden loose bowels.  I get sometimes to where  my standing blood pressure is up to 50 points HIGHER when standing than when laying down. My BP is generally much higher than normal during these symptoms.

What do you think about my symtoms (symptoms) and condition, and what should I do to figure out the newest symptoms if they're related to the tumor or not? Does it sound liek the tumor is causing the 24/7 head pain? (my head pain is relieved by pressing in my skull and laying on the right side of my head often causes major pressure at the exact site of the tumor) I don't know what's going on with me anymore, and with these latest symptoms I'm so close to giving up..they want to tell me it's all anxiety, but everyone who knows me knows better. What type specialist does a tilt table test and do i need that?

Woo, I know this is alot,  I'm grasping for straws..
Avatar_dr_m_tn
A cardiologist generally does a tilt table test.

Your supraorbital bone lesion sounds a lot like a frontal sinus osteoma.  They are generally asymptomatic, unless they are blocking the outflow tract of the frontal sinus and secretions are building up behind them.

What does your CT scan report say?  If you have not had a CT scan you should have one, as the MRI suggested a bony lesion.  CT scans show bony detail much better than MRI.

Your symptoms of dizziness are fairly nonspecific, though the supine vertigo (if it lasts just a few seconds) could be benign positional vertigo (BPPV).

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical
advice - the information presented is for patients education only.
Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your
individual case.
Doc, thanks for the reply..I was wondering what you thought about my recent onset of severe lightheaded episodes with weakness, clumsiness, and also another feature is that my bowels get loose during an episode.  The episodes last 15 mins-3 hours at a time,  and usually my BP gets elevated during an episode,     I feel pressure in my head all the time,  when I lay on the right side of my head ,  I feel alot of pressure build up behind my forehead over my left eye and the left corner of my head.    What do you think?   maybe there are seperate issues, i dont know.  I had an echocardiogram and many EKG's which were normal..

and yes, I had a head CT, it says:

brain parenchyma is unremarkable for age and gray white interfaces are distinct.  there is no intracranial hemorrhage, acute ischemia, mass effect or extra axial fluid collection. the ventricles, cisterns and subarachnoid CSF spaces are unremarkable. the visualized paranasal sinuses and mastoid air cells are well aerated.  

a left frontal bone lesion in the superior lateral periorbital region is relatively unchamed in appearance and size since the prior exam. the lesion demonstrates a mixed lucent and sclerotic matrix with subtle expansion of the outer table of the calvarium. no cortical descruction or periosteal reaction is seen.

(It is about 3.5 x 2.5 cm  unchanged in size over 3 years since it was discovered.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
This sounds like a bone cyst.  You may want to get another opinion on its management; if you truly are having symptoms related to it, you may want to consider surgery.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

individual case.
my mother has been experiencing a breaking glass noice in her left ear it is not a constant noice and she becomes unbalanced and dizzy with the noice we have been to a E.N.T. specialist and they are not sure what the problem is could you please help. maria