Ear Disorders Expert Forum
Dry Flaky Ear With Moisture

Questions in the Ear Disorders forum are answered by Dr. Eric Wilkinson. Topics include acoustic neuroma, skull base tumors, hearing loss, cochlear implants, stapes surgery, eardrum repair, chronic ear infection, facial nerve problems, childhood deafness, vertigo, balance disorders, and tinnitus.

Dry Flaky Ear With Moisture

I have a friend who has this flaky dry stuff in her ear. When she picks it out it's like her ear is oozing moist stuff out. She has been to the doctor and he gave her some drops to use but they have not helped. She has had this problem for years now. The doctor told her that she didn't have any ear wax. Have any idea what this could be?

Thank you in advance,
Lee
Avatar_dr_m_tn
It could be a case of chronic otitis externa (similar to eczema elsewhere in the body), or it could have been earwax.  Did they see an ENT specialist?
Yes, she did see an ENT specialist. It's not ear wax it is white and flaky, and it is more on the outside of the ear drum around the outter ear. I will look up chronic otitisexterna because I'm not sure what that is. Thank you for your help.
Lee