Ear Disorders Expert Forum
Hollow sound in ear

Questions in the Ear Disorders forum are answered by Dr. Eric Wilkinson. Topics include acoustic neuroma, skull base tumors, hearing loss, cochlear implants, stapes surgery, eardrum repair, chronic ear infection, facial nerve problems, childhood deafness, vertigo, balance disorders, and tinnitus.

Hollow sound in ear
Last Tuesday I flew home to WA from CA. On Wednesday I noticed a hollow sound and ringing in just my left ear. To describe it a little better it sounds like what most experience after leaving a loud concert. I have an apt next Wednesday but wanted some input. Any suggestions?
There are a couple of possibilities.  One is that you had problems with your Eustachian tube on the flight, and now your eardrum compliance and pressure is slightly different.  Another is that you had a sudden nerve hearing loss. You need to have an audiogram and have a full ENT evaluation.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical
advice - the information presented is for patients education only.
Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your
individual case.