Ear Disorders Expert Forum
Left ear continuing problems

Questions in the Ear Disorders forum are answered by Dr. Eric Wilkinson. Topics include acoustic neuroma, skull base tumors, hearing loss, cochlear implants, stapes surgery, eardrum repair, chronic ear infection, facial nerve problems, childhood deafness, vertigo, balance disorders, and tinnitus.

Left ear continuing problems

About two years ago I started out with a respiratory infection with bronchitis. This virus, my doctor told me, had settled in my left ear and caused a severe ear infection. He treated it several times with antibiotics and my ear was still showing infection.  He referred me to a Specialist. This doctor checked me for a tumor. None found. Then he found a lot of fluid behind my eardrum. He put a tube in my ear. Five days later my eardrum rejected it and the dr. had to take it out. Since then my ear stays infected. It hurts and throbs. I went to have my hearing tested and I have lost a good portion of my hearing in my left ear. Basically, I can't understand what people are saying to me if I have my left ear next to them as they are talking. I just had my ear examined by my regular doctor and it was infected and he said my eardrum is red. I get sooooo dizzy at times. I just have to stop in the hall at work and wait until I can walk again. I was on medication for vertigo for awhile - but am not any longer. I need help with this problem. Just have no idea what to do next. Thank you.
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi Shana,

Much of your problem sounds like it is from Eustachian tube dysfunction.  However, if you are continually dealing with vertigo, you should see an otologist (ear specialist) for possible balance testing to see what your balance problem is.  You may also need imaging of your brainstem and inner ear.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical
advice - the information presented is for patients education only.
Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your
individual case.