Ear Disorders Expert Forum
Ringing in ear since spinal

Questions in the Ear Disorders forum are answered by Dr. Eric Wilkinson. Topics include acoustic neuroma, skull base tumors, hearing loss, cochlear implants, stapes surgery, eardrum repair, chronic ear infection, facial nerve problems, childhood deafness, vertigo, balance disorders, and tinnitus.

Ringing in ear since spinal
About a month ago, I had my baby and asked for an epidural but the dr. went too far and got into my spinal fluid.   A couple days after the procedure I developed a severe spinal headache with neck stiffness and humming in my left ear.  I also had some dizziness that went with it.  The severe headache went away after a week but now (5 weeks later) I still have stiffness in my neck, mild headaches daily, a clogged feeling in my left ear and ringing in my left ear.  Could this still have to do with the lumbar puncture?  What are your suggestions on this matter.  
You are describing symptoms of hydrops, which is elevated pressure in the inner ear compartment called the endolymphatic space.  Occasionally people who have spinal taps who also have large cochlear aqueducts (the pathway that connects spinal fluid with the outer, or perilymph ear fluid space) can develop a "relative endolymphatic hydrops" because the outer compartment has been drained off.  If this deos not resolve, you may need to be evaluated for a persistent lumbar CSF leak.  This can even require epidural blood patching.  Have your OB-GYN refer you to a neuro-otologist (ear surgery specialist) if your problems persist.  If you have not had an audiogram (hearing test) you should probably have one.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical
advice - the information presented is for patients education only.
Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your
individual case.
A related discussion, CSF leak or hydrops??? was started.