Ear Disorders Expert Forum
Ringing in ears

Questions in the Ear Disorders forum are answered by Dr. Eric Wilkinson. Topics include acoustic neuroma, skull base tumors, hearing loss, cochlear implants, stapes surgery, eardrum repair, chronic ear infection, facial nerve problems, childhood deafness, vertigo, balance disorders, and tinnitus.

Ringing in ears

Can ringing in ears be anything other than tinnitus or brain tumor
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Tinnitus can be caused by a number of conditions, including hearing loss, Eustachian tube dysfunction, and vascular problems.

See:
www.houseearclinic.com/tinnitus.htm
I think ringing in the ears for any reason is actually termed "tinnitus" but it can be caused by MANY things. I have tinnitus and was told by a hearing specialist that mine is most likely caused by TMJ (from clenching my teeth). Exposure to loud sounds can cause temporary tinnitus as can allergies, congestion, fluid in the ears and a host of other things. I went to an ear specialist after it persisted for many months because I was so anxiety ridden, I couldn't stand it anymore. Now, I sleep with a sound machine (I use white noise) and I don't even notice it anymore. The best thing to do, after you rule out anything serious, is to try to ignore it so it doesn't control your life!! Good luck, it took me almost a year to stop worrying about it-don't follow in my footsteps!!!
I second what "worriedaboutmom" posted.

The word "tinnitus" just means ringing in the ears.

And I would add that an inner-ear tumor (acoustic neuroma) would cause ringing in one ear only, although this type of tumor is very rare and usually not the problem. I haven't heard of any type of brain tumor that causes ringing in both ears.

Best of luck--if your tinnitus doesn't go away, or if you have dizziness and/or hearing loss, see your doctor!

Nancy T.
I am 4 months into developing the ringing in the ears.  This seemed to start following a very bad head cold that lasted over a month, and I had travelled by air just at the onset, and had excruciating pain in my ears during the flight.
I am not prepared to just live with this.  It is more than distracting, sometimes getting very loud - always in both ears.  I think if I didn't have it 4 months ago then I should be able to get in that place again.  Obviously it was caused by something - something changed - so if I can figure that out, maybe I can fix it. ?
You should see a specialist. I suppose it is possible that you have a eustation tube disturbance (since you had severe pain while flying)of some sort and that can certainly cause tinnitus. I, like you, was NOT prepared to just live with it either but once I sort of figured out that there was not much I could do about it(after determining that there was no medical reason for mine) , I tried to find ways to cope with it as it was driving me crazy and causing me to be depressed. You should be examined to determine the cause, it may be that it is something that can be treated!!  BTW- I am flying next week for the first time since the onset of my tinnitus...I am a nervous wreck. I can't help but think it will get worse!!! Wish me luck!!
Have your blood sugar checked!  I have diabetes and notice that the tinitus gets much louder when my blood sugar goes up.
My Age is 28, since last week suffering from Tinnitus after a 2 months of productive cold, cold is vanished; still I am perceive a constant noise, except when I am in deep sleep,
I consulted ENT doctor, my audiological test is ok, and he prescribed me antiallergic & anticold medicine,

still this is disturbing and affecting my regular life & work performance,

Kindly suggest precautions, possible treatment, over measure to over come this.

I express lots of gratitude's,
I am not an expert, nor am I a health professional, but as for precautions, the best thing you can do is protect your hearing as everyone should: avoid exposure to loud noise or use earplugs if you are exposed to loud noise, stay healthy in general.

I think tinnitus can be caused by Eustachian tube problems, which can persist for weeks or months and might be related to your cold.

If your hearing tested OK, I would not be worried about the tinnitus being something dangerous.

Many people "hear" tinnitus when in a quiet room and paying attention to it. If it seriously disturbs you and you find you are unable to just accept it and ignore it, there are masking devices, medications, counseling, etc.

For lots of information, look up the American Tinnitus Association, and I'm sure there are many other sources of information on tinnitus on the Web, and whole message boards devoted to it. I haven't personally had problems with tinnitus (I have it in one ear, but it doesn't bother me).

Good luck--it will probably get better, and if not, you can learn to live with it.
My ears started ringing a bit a few years ago which might be age related, however, I notice it's worse after I've had black tea or caffiene.
Folks Tinnitus can be caused by just about anything. Thus the cure, for one individual does not apply to another, and depending and the cause there is no cure.  How about that for a run around? But that is the truth of the matter.  If could be simple ear wax, it could be caffiene, it could be morphine, it could be vicodin, it could be anxiety... and the list goes on and on.