Ear Disorders Expert Forum
ears

Questions in the Ear Disorders forum are answered by Dr. Eric Wilkinson. Topics include acoustic neuroma, skull base tumors, hearing loss, cochlear implants, stapes surgery, eardrum repair, chronic ear infection, facial nerve problems, childhood deafness, vertigo, balance disorders, and tinnitus.

ears

Dr. Wilkinson, Can having a bad tooth in your mouth affect your ear? My ear feels like it is stopped up to where i can hardly hear, I tried popping it, but that want work either. What can I do?
Thanks,
Cutiepie
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Bad teeth can cause referred pain to the ear, but usually does not cause a plugged sensation.  You should have a full examination and hearing testing to determine if you have a reversible hearing loss or other ear problem.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical
advice - the information presented is for patients education only.
Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your
individual case.
I have had ongoing ear problems since i was a young child.  I have had my ear drum repaired twice in my right ear and  i have been living with it perforated for the last 12-14 years.  However last year my hearing on my left side gradually deteriorated and my ear drum perforated.  Following an operation where the bones in that ear were found to have rotten due to infection I have been left completely deaf in the left ear.  However over the last week I noticed discharge coming from my ear (pale yellow in colour), I attended my GP who told me I had infection and wrote me up or Cefalexin 500mg 4 times daily.   I have been taking these antbiotics for 5 days now and there shows no sign of the discharge drying up.  My minimal hearing of 30% is  worse than normal and I am worried that this will affect me longterm.  I have to attend my GP in 4 days time for reassessment. Is there anything else that can be done regarding my ear discharge?  How long should it take to dry up and what are the chances of my bones decaying once more?
A related discussion, canstant ringing in my ears. was started.