Ear Disorders Expert Forum
medicine safe as ear drops ?

Questions in the Ear Disorders forum are answered by Dr. Eric Wilkinson. Topics include acoustic neuroma, skull base tumors, hearing loss, cochlear implants, stapes surgery, eardrum repair, chronic ear infection, facial nerve problems, childhood deafness, vertigo, balance disorders, and tinnitus.

medicine safe as ear drops ?

Can Fluocinolone Acetonide Topical Solution 0.01% (Fougera) be used as an ear drop to go in the ears ?    The box says for Dermatologic Use Only (Topical).  

Would it cause damage to the ear drum if used as ear drops ?  Is Fluocinolone Acetonide Topical Solution 0.01% (Fougera) used as a generic for DermOtic Oil (HIll Dermaceuticals, Inc.)  They both have the Fluocinolone Acetonide Topical Solution 0.01% but DermOtic Oil seems quite different in they are in fact made as ear drops.  I don't know if the Fluocinolone Acetonide Topical Solution 0.01% (Fougera) is safe to actually put in your ear.  
Tags: Pain, Ear
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi Dennis, I am not familiar with that particular formulation of Fluocinolone.  I am sure it is not FDA labeled for ear use.  The problem is that you don't know what other ingredients are in it and whether they are safe for the ear canal.  That being said, many topical steroids are used in the ear canal without a problem.  If you are concerned, I would use a formulation like Dermotic that is labeled for ear use.  Discuss this with your pharmacist also.

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical
advice - the information presented is for patients education only.
Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your
individual case.