Ear Disorders Expert Forum
my tinnitus

Questions in the Ear Disorders forum are answered by Dr. Eric Wilkinson. Topics include acoustic neuroma, skull base tumors, hearing loss, cochlear implants, stapes surgery, eardrum repair, chronic ear infection, facial nerve problems, childhood deafness, vertigo, balance disorders, and tinnitus.

my tinnitus

Hi, my name is david i've had tinnitus for 2 and half years. i think i had bouts of tinnitus before the tinnitus became perminent in dec 05. it became a perminent fixture because i went to see a consert, aldo the concert was loud i think a scream in my ear from a lad behind me did it aldo i believe my tinnitus is in both ears or my head and not just the one ear. I went to a doctor a month after the event and he gave me a hearing test witch showed my hearing to be perfect. I had another test a year after the first for my driving lisence which was the same result, perfect hearing. I think because of my age(18) i hapituated the tinnitus quickly the first two years where fine, the only time i'd hear my t was when i put one ear on the pillow at night which i like, i'd prefer to sleep with t then without it, i had trouble sleeping before the t and since i sleep like a baby, its like counting sheep to he i just listen to the hiss and fall asleep. In January of this year i was getting dental fillings one tooth was infected and i had a root canal treatment on it. My tinnitus got worse after i got a bulging ear drum, it went down (the t) after i saw a docter and he gave me anti-inflamitries. But it is still bad because my right ear is still blocked up and no audi-spray or ear drops or warm water will fix it. Because my tinnitus got worse i've turned to the internet for information and found that i have many problems that could cause my tinnitus. my aches are headaches, blocked ear, constant face and neck pain, cronic (chronic) sinus, my jaw is bad it always clicks or pops and usually have trouble opening and closing my mouth. i also have sore shoulders and my arms and hands are usually num. i also have back spasams. i also have asthma which i am medicated for with a benazone inhalher, which is my only constant medication, i very rarely us pain killers.
my questions are does asthma medication (i've used for 15years)cause tinnitus and should i have my neck or tmj problems looked at

Avatar_dr_m_tn
Hi Dave,

Typically, tinnitus is caused by a hearing loss (either a sensorineural hearing loss or a conductive hearing loss) and sometimes by Eustachian tube dysfunction.  If the tinnitus is one-sided, sometimes imaging is necessary to rule out an inner ear problem.

Though your hearing test is normal, it is possible that if your high frequency hearing (frequencies above those normally tested) were assessed, it would show a relative drop over the last few years.

Certainly ear infections, if you accumulated fluid behind the eardrums, could cause an increase in your tinnitus.

I'm not aware of asthma medications worsening tinnitus.  Popping and crackling certainly could come from the jaw joint or the Eustachian tube.

Here is a web page on tinnitus that may shed some additional light on this very common problem:

www.houseearclinic.com/tinnitus.htm
1 Comment
thanks, i forgot one thing do my blocked ear also sucks in air which feels weird. does that shed any more light on my problem. How do you get fluid out of your ear and can the doctor check it or will he refer me to a specialist