Ear Disorders Expert Forum
vibration in ears

Questions in the Ear Disorders forum are answered by Dr. Eric Wilkinson. Topics include acoustic neuroma, skull base tumors, hearing loss, cochlear implants, stapes surgery, eardrum repair, chronic ear infection, facial nerve problems, childhood deafness, vertigo, balance disorders, and tinnitus.

vibration in ears
for around 3 weeks my mum has had a lot of problems with her hearing, there is a feeling of fullness in her ears and she has a noise in her head most of the time, yet some days are better than others. certain noises she just cant hear, and others are very loud to her,even the traffic going by can leave her with a humming,buzzing or rumbling sound in her head for the rest of the day. even when she speaks it sounds really loud to her, her voice vibrates in her head. She has been told her eustachian tube is pinched, yet the pressure is fine ( when she pinches her nose and blows she doesnt get any relief). She has had an audio test ( but this was on a day when she wasnt suffering to much) and this came back ok. Recently she has been saying that when she swallows she can hear a band in her head! its driving her mad, can you please help? She really isnt coping very well with it
There are some other possibilities here, including hydrops (an inner ear pressure disorder), Eustachian tube dysfunction, or even mild conductive hearing loss not manifesting itself on audiometry.  She should have a second opinion with an otologist (ear specialist).

Hope this helps.  Good luck!

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical
advice - the information presented is for patients education only.
Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your
individual case.
A related discussion, ears was started.
For about 2years have had severe viberation type noises in both ears. Happendes every few months,and when it does start its constant and will last all night. Is there something I can take or do that will stop it before it drives me crazy. I do have myoclonic and complex partial bilateral frontal lobe epilepsy