Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Am I anorexic ?

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Am I anorexic ?

I'm 14, 5'7 and about 115 lbs. I'm on Seroquel and Lamotrogine for Bipolar disorder. Anyways, I'm starving myself. I'll have 400-700 calories a day but eat TONS of fruit. I want to be 100 lbs. I still have regular cycles and this has been going on and off for a few months. Do I have anorexia or EDNOS?
Hi. I really appreciate you reaching out. I am wondering if you have spoken about this with anyone, perhaps a family member or a counselor at school. I think it is important that you discuss what is happening with someone you trust. Based on the limited information, I believe there is reason for concern. I would not venture to diagnose you without seeing you for a comprehensive eating disorder evaluation. There are many factors that go into understanding whether a person has an eating disorder or not. You could seek out an eating disorder specialist in your area and have an evaluation. In addition, to learn more about eating disorders and to take an eating disorder survey, you could visit the bella vita website. Wishing you the best, Patricia Pitts, PhD The Bella Vita Los Angeles, CA
I'm glad you are reaching out about this.  Based on what you have said in your question, I don't know if you meet all of the DSM criteria to be diagnosed as anorexic, BUT your behaviors are putting you well on your way to that diagnosis.  I'm in recovery from anorexia and it started as EDNOS but very quickly turned into full blown anorexia.  You say this has been going on off and on for a few months and the best advice I can offer is to get help asap.  The further into the disorder you go, the harder it is to recover.  I'm sure you know this, but your goal of 100 pounds is not a healthy weight for someone of your height.  And from my own experience with my struggle with anorexia (and based on what I've talked about with other girls I've met in treatment), most people who struggle with anorexia or EDNOS all set a certain goal weight but once we reach that goal weight, we always set another one.  For someone struggling with an eating disorder no weight is ever good enough.  For me, it was always "oh I'll just lose another 5 pounds and then stop" but I never stopped.  It was almost like the thinner I became, the more I saw myself as fat.  I'm 37 right now but my last treatment stay was when I was 28.  The lowest my weight got to was in the upper 80's and I'm 5'6, and I still thought I was fat, that I wasn't thin enough for treatment, etc.  It's a powerful cycle to break which is why treatment early on is so important.

You mentioned you are already on some psych meds so I'm guessing you are following up with a psychiatrist for your bipolar?  Or is this a regular GP prescribing the meds?  Does your doctor know about the eating issues and/or are you in counseling?  I simply cannot stress enough how important it is to get help as soon as possible - DO NOT wait until you reach your target weight of 100 pounds.  I know a lot of people who have eating disorders, including myself, and didn't feel like I/we needed help until I had reached a certain low weight.  But the reality of your situation is that you are starving yourself and have a goal of being at an anorexic weight.  You need help right now.

I don't know if this was helpful or not, but I read your post and it reminded so much of how I was at one point.  Regardless of where you are at with your weight, the behaviors involved in an eating disorder (starvation, constantly monitoring your weight, worrying about what you eat, etc) make life miserable.  Sorry for rambling a bit here, but I just remember how miserable I was, and how nice it feels now to be able to go out to eat with friends and not worry about calories, food, etc.  I want to see you free from those ed thoughts too!
you are anorexic
I also want to lose my weight just like you and try to be skinny. I also want to get thin legs, flat abs, beautiful arms! But I can't diet. Even I am too lazy to take exercise. God knows, how I will be able to lose weight!