Eating Disorders Community
Anasarca - generalized edema of the whole body

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

I have severe anorexia and now am suffereinf from anasarca - generalized edema o the whole body. I currently have 10-15 litres of excess water, getting fibrotic. All medical examinations and blood tests are ok. Diuretics don't help any more. What can I do? HELP!!!!!
Hi!
Severe anorexia could have cause a havoc to your albumin/globulin ratio and to your sodium balance in the body.  It could have also caused a lot of nutritional deficits and related injuries. I understand you have undergone a number of tests. Please discuss with your doctor and see if the following causes have been tested for: severe anemia, a failing heart, serious kidney disease, liver failure or disorder, electrolyte imbalance, polycystic ovary, low protein in the blood, and disorders of adrenal gland.
Treating anorexia is very important for your recovery. To get a realistic view—log in what you eat. Keep a diary. Log in each food item you take, time at which you ate, purging if any or forced vomiting, laxative if any that you took etc. Basically a diary of what you ate—food, medicines etc, exercises you did—duration type of exercise etc. Consult the psychologist and nutrition expert with a diary of week-10 days. If you are not able to maintain an honest diary (actually it is very difficult to be honest about it), then you can ask a close friend to do this for you.
Take care!