Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Anorexic Relapse or Plain Depression

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Anorexic Relapse or Plain Depression

I know that I am severely depressed.  Doctor wants to admit me to hospital.  I have suffered with anorexia for 20 years.  My weight gained with Aropax CR 50 by 4/5 kilos.  I am beside myself with this.  I have been very depressed and at in a very bad space right now.  It took me three years from weighing 36kgs to stabilise my weight at 42 for 3 months last year.  Now I am massive, hate myself and my body.  I look ugly.  

I am triggered badly.

I feel like using the depression as my excuse to majorly relapse but then I am aware I will lose my mental state and all the affects of the illness.  I have a heart condition, my bone density is bordering osteoporosis.  So, added to the list.  It is pathetic but I want my skinny clothes again.  I am 5'2", weight 101 Lbs and 35 years old.  I was wearing age 7-8, some things 9-10 clothing when I weighed 36kgs.  I know the wrongs but I ...................

Twigster,, Thanks for reaching out!  As you are aware, depression and anorexia can go hand in hand.  Anorexia can be a way to try to turn off the emotions so the depression does not feel as overwhelming.  Yet both need to be addressed for you to feel better and be freed of the hold they have on you.  There is no shame for either.  Both are genetic.  They will not just go away.  We have a lot of knowledge today as professionals to help you in letting go of both.  Seeking professional help from eating disorder specialists is important.  You are not alone.  Many have gone before you.  I too had depression and anorexia when I was younger.  You still want to keep it because the eating disorder voice is still louder than your healthy voice.  Be persistent!  Stay at it.  There is hope, change and recovery!  To learn more about eating disorders and treatment options, visit The Bella Vita website.  Wishing you the best, Dr Patricia Pitts, PhD The Bella Vita Los Angeles, CA