Eating Disorders Community
Anorexic in the Past- should I get general health check-up?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Anorexic in the Past- should I get general health check-up?

Hi everyone,

I have a question. I was anorexic for a little over a year about 7 years ago. I dropped a ton of weight, lost my period, was freezing all the time; I had all the symptoms an eating disorder causes. I didn't have a period for 4 years on my road to recovery.  Since recovering I have gained all my weight back during this time frame, have a period again, and feel like I am fully recovered and healthy.

However, I know anorexia can cause other issues- heart problems, fertility problems etc during the time of having the illness. My question is, should I get checked for such lingering issues now, years later? Is there anything I should get checked out / keep an eye on bc of my past illness?

Thanks.
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
I am glad to note that you have recovered from anorexia. Usually anorexia causes nutritional deficiencies. However, with time and proper nutrition most would have got corrected by now. Still, it would be probably helpful to get a complete blood count to look for anemia, and levels of iron, folic acid, minerals, vitamin B12 etc all checked. If you are trying for a child and not conceiving then probably you should also get this investigated. Please discuss with your doctor. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eating Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Emotional Eating Control: How to St...