Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Bed time cravings

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Bed time cravings
When I go to bed at night I have INTENSE cravings for concentrated sweets. Even candy I don't like in the day. If I don't get up and eat some sugar/chocolate or both I find I can't go to sleep. It seems to act like a sedative. It also seems to taste incredibly delicious, whereas if I ate it with dinner it would just taste OK. Is this emotional or chemical. I do have hypothyroid disease (treated).
This is clearly emotional. The sweets at night has a very special and personal meaning to you.  This food becomes a protective mother lulling you to sleep. Think about this and please post a reply if you begin to see any connection with your history.