Eating Disorders Community
Binge eating after anorexia

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

Binge eating after anorexia

I started anorexia recovery 6 days ago. I'm 15 years old, female, 5"3-5"4, sedentary, only exercise I get is going to school. Every since my first day of recovery, I have been binge eating really really bad. I binge on sweets, carbs, and some salty foods. I can't stop, it makes me so frustrated that I start crying and it really makes me want to relapse. I already gained 20 pounds and now I'm 115 lbs and I know most of it isnt water retention cause I can see weight gain on my face, chest, legs etc. I am literally so mad and astounded that I already gained 20 pounds, I am past my gaol weight which was supposed to be 105. What do I do? Everytime I tell myself "Okay never again" I always do it again! I always binge right after school cause my cravings are too powerful. I;m scared I'm going to keep binging. What should I do? Should I stay away from carbs for awhile because I ate too much? Please give me some advice.
Hi!
Yes, wellbutrin can cause both weight gain and weight loss. What is important is to find out whether your weight loss is due to the drug or because you are not eating enough. To find this out, please maintain a week long food log. Each day log in each and everything you eat and drink—the item, quantity, time etc. It is quite possible that you are not eating enough. If that is the case, you will need to maintain another food log wherein you will write what you are expected to eat each day for a week, the item, its quantity and time. Then you need to tick each item that you have eaten. A dietician can help you with this or a friend. After following this for a month, you may see a rise in weight. Also, please discuss with your doctor about the possibility of an eating disorder associated with depression.
Also, please maintain a week long food log. Each day log in each and everything you eat and drink—the item, quantity, time etc. This will help you gauge the extra calories you are taking. If you binge eat after school, then keep health snack options, fresh fruits, and low carb and low fat snacks with you at that time. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Hi.  I'm not sure the comment above really helps this inquiry, as she didn't mention anything about the drug.  

I am not a doctor, so I can't really offer any medical advice, but I am several years recovered from anorexia/bulimia and I can offer what I learned from my experience through it and what I learned from the med/psych team who helped me:

First of all, congratulations on making a step towards health.  It is so terrifying and frustrating, but the only thing that will help the pain go away is to continue on the healthy road--not to go back.  

The first weeks and even months of recovery, your body and mind will freak out.  Your mind makes you eat everything you were keeping from yourself before--this is disordered eating too and you have to be strong.  Giving yourself all that sugar will cause you to form an addiction to it, so feed your body with protein and natural sugar instead.  It's difficult to tell if you're hungry or not those days because you're body is all messed up, so you really have to pay attention and/or stick to your nutritionist's meal suggestions at first. You'll get better at it later and you will eventually be able to eat sweets without going overboard--but eventually may mean years, depending on how you're doing mentally.  My stress levels about sweets have finally subsided at this point.

Distraction helped me--I ate a by-the-book healthy meal from my nutritionist and then did homework or watched jeopardy or something.  The distraction that helped the most was talking to my mom or dad, and trying to talk about something other than food.  Listen to NPR--it gives you things to talk about.  Try to notice when opening up about how to feel stops helping and starts you on a destructive spiral.  Do some deep breathing.  

What is such a kick in the pants is that during this time, your body holds on to what looks and feels like alot of weight--and sometimes in really strange places (sometimes your arms stay skinny and your tummy feels huge, or something like that).  Also--the weight feels heavy and jiggly.  THIS *****.  It was very difficult for me to keep on with recovery through this part and I fell back into bad habits several times.

Just as you learn to respect your body, you have to learn how to respect food too.  You respect your body, so you feed it vegetables and protein to keep it strong.  You exercise for the same reasons--NOT to punish yourself.  If you want sweets, eat them with respect.  Savor one scoop of ice cream.  Have one square of chocolate.  That kind of thing.  It is definitely a mindset that takes a while to become natural.

But as someone who just took one day at a time and kept to it, I can tell you that your mind and body will sort themselves out as long as you keep going--AND THEY WILL NOT IF YOU DO NOT.  Your biggest weapon is patience.  Your most powerful move is consistance.  You don't have to be a slave to your anxieties (by disordered eating and self loathing)--it's a hell of a fight, but as someone who can cause so much destruction in the first place (hey-I'm that person too)--I'll bet you've got the strength to do it.

Good luck.
Hi! I'm in a very similar situation as you ^_^ I'm also 5"4 and recovering from anorexia, but I've taken it too far and begun to binge eat. I'm now at around 115 pounds, like you, but I think I'm pretty close to relapsing to anorexia. But really 115 pounds is on the slim side for 5"4 and it's pretty healthy. I know how our minds work and "healthy" is just another word for "mutually fat" so I think, if you really want to, go to 110. Although you have to be sure you won't obsess over losing weight again. Think about it like this, you didn't eat food because you felt in control of your body, right? Well now eat a healthy, balanced diet. Don't give in to not eating, and don't give in to overeating. Think of it like you are now in control of your health, just not on one extreme to the other