Eating Disorders Community
Blood in Vomit

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

Blood in Vomit

So, I have been struggling with EDNOS for years, but the last seven months it has been hard core bulimia.  well the last couple months I have noticed a little bit of blood in my vomit.  Usually it is in the first part of the purge.  It is brown with red tint, but mostly dark brown.  It is often stringy, but a little bit clumpy too.  There is usually not a lot, but enough to notice.  It is making me worried.  I know it's probably not really serious, because it is not black.  But it isn't just a scratch in my throat, because it isn't bright red.  I have always worried, and also I used to take too many pain pills, so it might just be an ulcer, but do I need to worry?
Blood in vomit is always to be taken serious and with concern.  Among other things, it could be a tear in your esophagus or internal bleeding.  If you have recently vomited blood, I woud recommend going to an Urgent Care or Emergency Room to determine the cause.  Anyway you look at it, blood in your vomit is not normal.  To learn more about bulimia and its medical complications visit the bella vita website.  Best, Dr Patricia Pitts  The Bella Vita  Los Angeles, CA