Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Bulimic and purging blood

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Bulimic and purging blood

I've been bulimic for about 15 years now. I have always been too ashamed to seek help for my eating disorder. About 6 years ago, I noticed a little blood while I purging. It has continued since then, but very little and refused to believe there may be something serious going on. (Ultimately was too scared to face it) Tonight while purging, there was a significant amount of blood, more than I have ever had.  I understand this is something serious and need to see a doctor. What are they going to tell me?  I'm very nervous about this. It's late and weighing on me, I feel that I need an answer to help me sleep tonight.
So delighted you are reaching out for help.  As I am not a medical doctor, I would direct you to seek medical help immediately. You have been struggling with this disorder for many years. It is very common for people who are suffering with an eating disorder to feel shame around getting treatment, however this is an illness and you deserve to get the help you need. In addition, I would encourage you to seek out an eating disorder therapist in your area. Eating disorders do not go away. One in ten individuals with an eating disorder do not seek treatment. With treatment, 60% are partially to fully recover. To learn more about eating disorders and treatment options, visit The Bella Vita website.  Wishing you the best, Dr. Patricia Pitts, PhD The Bella Vita Los Angeles, CA
Go see a doctor and therapist immediately! I was bulimic for 4 years and am healthy now. It is IMPERATIVE that you take care of yourself. A purging spasm could cause your aorta to clench and you could drop dead mid-purge. Of course, you're doing immense damage to your esophagus and that's where the blood is coming from. Bulimia stems from a whole host of issues beyond desired weight loss that need to be sorted through with a GOOD therapist (preferably a specialist). And by the way, I lost 15 pounds in a year when I got healthy. It's worth it in every single way, and NEVER something to fear. Best of luck. With love and strength.
Seu694,
Thank you for your help and support. I am scheduled to see my Doctor. So glad to hear you're healthy after batteling this awful disorder. Reassuring to know it is possible! Best wishes.