Eating Disorders Community
Chewing and Spitting caused puffy face! HELP!

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

I have a disorder where I chew my food and spit it out instead of swallowing it. It's super addictive, and I've been doing it for a couple years now.
Recently I've been doing it a lot more and my face is puffy and swollen because apparently my salivary glands have been working overtime because they think I'm going to swallow the food but then I don't.
I'm going home this weekend and I am going to see people I haven't seen in a while. I really don't want my face to be puffy! I am trying to give up chewing and spitting starting today, but does anyone know how I can cure a puffy face quickly?! Please help!
I am familiar with that eating disorder symptom, but am unsure of what to do about the puffy face. I have had similar struggles because I'm in recovery from anorexia and bulimia (purging causes the puffy face as well). I try little petty things in attempt to help it but don't know if they actually work or not. I'll see if I can think or find something that might help. I know staying more upright and staying hydrated helps with swollenness, but have no idea if it would actually help with this or not. I'll let you know if I come up with anything. Good luck!

I think you know this, but the best way to get rid of it is to not do it. I know that it's very difficult and not something that you can just suddenly drop altogether. The puffy face could be a good motivator for recovery though, yes?? ....along with many, many other things of course!

I hope you are doing okay

Ashley