Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Comfort Food

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Comfort Food

There has been a lot of stressful things going on around me.  I've been a "new" mother for 16 months, I'm still battling to lose the weight from having a child, my relationship with my fiance is on the rocks (and has been for a while), I haven't had a decent nights sleep in I don't know how long, and to top it off, my grandfather just passed away yesterday after an extended bout with Alzheimer's.

Unfortunately, it seems that all of my emotions are linked to food.  When my stresses start to pile onto the proverbial plate, so do the potato chips.  I am aware of the fact that calming my emotions may help to calm my desire to constantly eat, for me it is easier said than done.

What are some good tips for controlling/channeling anger and stress in ways that could keep me from emotionally eating?  I've heard suggestions such as meditation but honestly everyone has been rather vague on that (they tell me to go to my "happy place"...need better info than that...plus how do you meditate with an almost-2-year-old running around and screaming lol).  Pharmaceuticals are also out of the question.
Yes, you sure have a big load of challenges, and it is tempting to eat to calm yourself, but if you look closely you'll see that it doesn't work for very long, and sets up the additional conflict you are having about weight...meditation alone will not work, you have to look at the source of each eating episode, and figure out what you are coverig up....if you go to my site and take the free session it will lead you to a free week's trial of the hunger coach...go to www. shrinkyourself.com...that should help you.