Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Comfort Food
About This Forum:

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.
Blank Blank

Comfort Food

There has been a lot of stressful things going on around me.  I've been a "new" mother for 16 months, I'm still battling to lose the weight from having a child, my relationship with my fiance is on the rocks (and has been for a while), I haven't had a decent nights sleep in I don't know how long, and to top it off, my grandfather just passed away yesterday after an extended bout with Alzheimer's.

Unfortunately, it seems that all of my emotions are linked to food.  When my stresses start to pile onto the proverbial plate, so do the potato chips.  I am aware of the fact that calming my emotions may help to calm my desire to constantly eat, for me it is easier said than done.

What are some good tips for controlling/channeling anger and stress in ways that could keep me from emotionally eating?  I've heard suggestions such as meditation but honestly everyone has been rather vague on that (they tell me to go to my "happy place"...need better info than that...plus how do you meditate with an almost-2-year-old running around and screaming lol).  Pharmaceuticals are also out of the question.