Eating Disorders Community
Daughter w/eating disorder relapsing

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

Daughter w/eating disorder relapsing

My daughter (who successfully fought anorexia about a year ago) is losing weight.  She is now struggling with her eating disorder again but refuses to tell me. She denies it to my face but her friend tells me she is struggling with it.

Since she will not tell me about her relapse, how can I help her?  I have told her that I'm concerned about her and I want to help her if she is having issues.  I reminded her of how sick she got before and that she needs to get help if she is having issues.

What can I say/do to help her admit her problem (last time it took a long time to admit it & agree to get professional help) She is not a minor so I legally I cannot force her to go for therapy.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
I am sorry to know about your daughter’s relapse. All people with anorexia need treatment. She definitely should be seeing a doctor and having regular counseling sessions. If she is having severe medical problems or is seriously underweight a hospital stay is needed .A mental health professional such as a psychologist, a medical health professional and a dietician all may help. Try convincing her and seek the support of her friends if it helps. Tell her that treatment is lie saving measure for her and how much you love her and care for her. I sincerely hope it helps.
Take care and regards!
Thanks for the info.  I am in the process of making an appointment with a therapist who got her back on track before.  I know that professional help is what she needs but I need how to get her to that help.  

I've decided that I'm making the appointment & just taking her there.  My daughter did have inpatient treatment before and it was successful.  Currently her weight is down but it is not dangerously low and I want to make sure it stays that way.
Thank you
Thank you for your help.  She was in treatment the first time.  Inpatient & then followup with therapist & Dietation.  She slowly stopped going to them. I have arranged an appointment with a therapist soon (one major complaint I have about any ED treatment is the slow pace at getting help) and I am just planning on taking her there.  

I hope this works as I do not want her to continue to struggle & feel that she needs to keep this to herself.