Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Do I have an eating disorder?? Please help...

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Im 20 years old and developed anorexia at the age of 13, I never recieved any treatment but seemed to get better on my own.
I have always had problems with food and I have some kind of fear of eating some foods, the smell of food in general and the look of food, basically i hate eating but I do eat.
I have been exercising a lot for the past 12 months I have lost over 1.5 stone in weight but im a health weight for my height. but people say i exercise too much. i exercise every day of the week for around 3 to 5 hours. Is this a problem? it doesnt feel bad to me and makes me feel more confident and like i can deal with other issues much better. Im scared that my eating disorder has come back again because of my friends worries, but I dont think it has....  What do you think? thanks
It seems like your friends have reason to be concerned. I can understand your confusion around this issue as eating disorders is a complex disorder. Eating disorders can look many different ways including the symptom of over-exercising. How do you feel when you don’t exercise? Is it hard to tolerate? Do you feel like you NEED to exercise? The answers to these questions can give you some clue as to whether there is a dependency issue there. You say you were diagnosed with anorexia when you were 13 and you received no treatment. Contrary to what many people believe, eating disorders don’t just “go away”. Without proper treatment, it can be fatal. I urge you to meet with an eating disorder therapist in your area for a full assessment so that they may determine what kind of support you may need. In the meantime, if you would like more information about eating disorders, you can find it at the bella vita website.  Warmest Regards, Dr. Patricia Pitts, PhD The Bella Vita Los Angeles, CA
I think it is enough to do exercise 1 hour per day. Excessive exercise can may you weak. It is also very important to take regular healthy food and to maintain a healthy diet plan.