Eating Disorders Community
Do I have an eating disorder?!

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

Do I have an eating disorder?!

I'm 17 and I weigh 174lb. I've always been over weight and always hated the way I look but I've never really done much about it. Though I started college in September and started to feel really depressed due to stress, family problems and hating the way I look even more. I've self harmed before but I sorted that out a while ago but now I've started eating less and less constantly thinking about food and what I should and shouldn't eat. I only have enough to kind of start me off in the morning like a smoothie so I know I will feel the hunger pains later on in the day.Then ill eat at home with my family but eat as little as i can get away with. I think I'm beginning to like feeling hungry and I've lost weight but then when I feel really down I just eat whatever I can find which makes me feel horrible so the next day I concentrate on only eating what I need :/ I know I shouldn't be doing this obviously I just want to know if its normal or if it would be classed as an eating disorder by a doctor :S
I do exercise too, I've been doing dancing since I was 7 for 3 hours each week and I alway train for ice skating about 2-4 hours a weeks.
Thank you in advance!!!!
Hi!
I can see that you do exercise adequately. However, to retain stamina, and have a healthy glow and vigor, you need to eat healthy too. If you want to lose weight, then you must do it the scientific way for long term benefits, healthy glow, and a good physique and body. It's best to join a nutrition expert and a physical trainer and follow their advice. Incorporating yoga into this regimen takes stress out of this exercise to lose weight. Also the diet should contain more of green leafy vegetables, fruits and protein and less of spaghetti, potato etc.  I suggest you eat frequent small meals and stop counting calories. It is best to eat lots of fruits and non-starchy green veggies, go slow on fats, eat carbohydrates in moderation and increase your protein intake (lean cuts, whites of eggs etc). Drink plenty of water and non fattening fluids such as clear soups etc. Look for hidden calories in salads and soups and avoid them (eg: cheese, butter, dressings etc).
Also, you need to exercise regularly. A combination of aerobic, strength training and stretches works best. So dance and skating should help you. Log in what you eat every day for a week. This will give you some idea about how to change your diet. Also, please consult an expert to rule out eating disorders if you are still unable to eat much. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.