Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Do I have an eating disorder?

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Do I have an eating disorder?

I am 19yrs old, 5'2" and I weigh about 106.  I use a calorie counting app and I exercise almost everyday with at least 30 minutes of cardio.  My question stems from the fact that I do in fact eat, and I eat fairly clean and vegetarian, yet I am scared of netting over 400 calories a day.  On days when I do net 400 or more I start to hate myself and I fear that I am going to gain weight.  Is this a specific problem or what?
Hi! Thanks for writing! Eating disorders are very complex. It’s not only about whether you are eating every day or not. It’s a multi-faceted disorder that encompasses biological, psychological, emotional and social factors. From the little information that you have shared, it sounds like there are great reasons to be concerned. I am not a nutritionist, however, I do know that 400 calories a day is very damaging to your brain, body, and health. I would advise you to seek professional help immediately. Professional help consists of a physician, a therapist, and nutritionist. This is very serious and can be deadly. Please take care of your self! To learn more about eating disorders and treatment options, visit The Bella Vita website. Best, Dr Patricia Pitts, PhD The Bella Vita Los Angeles, CA
Hi Kelly!
I know I'm not a doctor but I would definitely love to help you. :) Im studying to become a doctor and want to specialize in the eating disorder department. If you're exercising every day and are only consuming 400 or less calories day then you definitely are in risk of developing and eating disorder. You seem to be at a healthy but very low weight for your height right now, but if you continue with these eating habits your weight is going to go down tremendously and you'll have to be hospitalized for being overweight. I'm glad you"re reaching out for help, that shows me how aware you are of this issue, please let me help you get a more positive outlook on food. I'll always be there to leaned a hand. Trust me I've been down that path.
Sorry, I meant to say overweight not overweight in the message above. :/
I wouldn't say you have an eating disorder per say but you definitely have a distorted body image. This usually stems from control issues and needs psychological attention. You should seek out counseling to see why you feel the need to have so much control.
Thank you so much for your response!  I know that I am heading down a bad path and and I am slowly starting to eat a bit more each day.  
I am very thankful for your help and I wish you all the world on your journey of becoming a doctor :)