Eating Disorders Community
Do I have an eating disorder?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

Do I have an eating disorder?

Im 20 years old and developed anorexia at the age of 13, I never recieved any treatment but seemed to get better. I tend to go in and out of anorexia but dont realise it until friends notice my weight loss. I have always had problems with food and I have some kind of fear of eating some foods, the smell of food in general and the look of food, basically i hate eating but I do eat. I have been exercising a lot for the past 12 months I have lost over 1.5 stone in weight but im a health weight for my height. but people say i exercise too much. i exercise every day of the week for around 3 to 5 hours. Is this a problem? it doesnt feel bad to me and makes me feel more confident and like i can deal with other issues much better.im scared that I may have a problem but dont think i do,  What do you think?
Hi! Well normally 30-45 minutes exercise everyday or maximum an hour is enough for any individual living a regular lifestyle. Sports persons need to exercise more. Also, if you have normal weight for height/waist and age, then probably you are getting enough. You may be losing weight due to over exercising. However, if your friends do notice and feel you have eating issues, then it is best to consult a doctor dealing with eating disorders and find out if you really have a problem. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
I too developed an ED at 13 and will be turning 20 this year.

I have spent the last 5 months in therapy and counselling in order better understand and control my unhealthy thought towards myself and my unhealthy relationship with food.

I really would suggest that you go to your doctor. They will probably weight, do some blood tests and ask you some questions in order to get a diagnosis. Be as honest as possible with his questions.

If physically you are healthy, some therapy could be a great help.

Best of luck.
The eating disorder you are describing is called exercise bulimia. I have it too. I was told that when I was just working out 1.5/2 hours 5 days a week. Over exercise is not helpful. Once you do 45-60 min a day all the rest is wasted. You start to break down muscle to supply your body with the fuel it needs. I had to slowly decrease my exercise until I got to 4 days a week at no more than an hour.  Also the feeling of not wanting to eat is part of anorexia.  I believe you would benefit from professional help.  I did, and I've been in recovery for a few months now and still maintaining my normal weight.