Eating Disorders Community
EKG Finding
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

EKG Finding

Hi - I'm really concerned about my daughter's EKG finding of a "U" wave. Doc said they want to repeat it a second time to see if it shows again.
Here's some background info: she is a 10 yr old with an eating disorder, she is being treated for anorexia. All her bloodwork done so far was normal.

Can anyone tell me what the U wave would be about in her case? I'm worried sick waiting for the next results. Your input is much appreciated. Thanks!
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Potassium
Blank
424549_tn?1308519102
The above answer (hypokalemia) is a common cause of prominent U-waves at an ECG, though it can be congenital too. Hypercalcemia can cause the same. The U-wave comes after the T-wave in the QT-interval. It isn't always seen on a rhythm strip.

Hypokalemia (potassium deficiency) is a common problem for those who have eating disorders.

You can read more about hypokalemia:
[http://www.medhelp.org/medical-information/show/679/Hypokalemia]

Good luck!
ParamedFlorena
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eating Disorders Community Resources