Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Eating when I'm bored, stressed or depressed

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Is there anything on the market that will help me avoid eating when I'm really not hungry?  I honestly believe that I can eat at any time of the day or night.  I try to eat only when I'm hungry but I'm finding out that I end up eating more than what I normally would if I just ate when I felt like it.  Also when I get stressed, bored or upset I eat to make myself feel better and then I feel worse than I did before I ate.  I try to walk or exercise to get my mind off of food but the more I avoid it, the more I feel annoyed and just give in and eat it so the urge goes away.  Am I crazy??
Yes, that is emotional eating, and distracting yourself alone can not work for very long. YOu have to learn something important about yourself, and that is how your mind makes you experience powerlessness...because that experience is what makes you eat. There is something you can do about it, but you will have to engage a learning process to find out what it is for you exactly, and that is what the shrinkyourself program does...sets up an individualized personal learning experience until you master this experience, and then your cravings will go away, and you will be left with just ordinary hunger, which is manageable.
No, not crazy.

Therapy to address underlying issues.

Try Dr Gould's website. www.shrinkyourself.com

J
I too am an emotional eater and I have found great relief with hypnosis. Specifically hypnosis by Paul McKenna called "I can make you thin."  He was on the discovery channel several months ago.  He has a whole program but all I did was listen to his hypnotic cd and it worked like majic!  After about a week of listening daily, my behaviors just changed, without me making a conscious effort.  I just started to look at food differently, like a normal person.  I've lost 30 lbs in about 8 months just by listening to this cd.  I will tell you that if I go more than a week without listening to it, I will start to revert to my old emotional ways.  I have also started to think about myself and why I really feel bad, low self esteem, stress, etc and have started working on those issues which drive my overeating using Paul McKenna's other cds for self esteem, etc.  I used to be fearful of public speaking and after doing his cd I have become an excellent speaker.  All I can say is give this a try.  I suffered 15+ years as an emotional eater and this is the only relief I've found.  I've done other hypnosis, self help books, online psyhological programs, you name it I've done it.  This really works.