Eating Disorders Community
Forcing solid food down an anorexic's throat

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

Is solid food ever forced down an anorexic's throat?
Hi!

It’s best not to force food down the throat of a person with anorexia. It is best to get medical help. If person eats less then protein and carbohydrate shakes can be given. Meat and vegetables can be pureed. Egg can be beaten into milk.  The treatment involves various types of behavior therapies, nutritional guidance, medications to control hunger, food satiety, and exercise and yoga. Please consult a good psychologist/psychiatrist who specializes in eating disorders.
Take care!
It is a terrible idea to force solid food down anyone's throat. I'm anorexic, and about 8 years back my ex-husband literally forced rotten food down my throat to prove a point to me. It was so traumatic and made my anorexia worse so that I went from eating almost nothing to eating nothing at all.

Please don't do it, get proffessional help instead.
I'm anorexic and one of my "friends" thought she was a professional in the mental field just because she would look through a few articles on the topic. She thought that the only reason why I was anorexic was because I wanted to be skinny so she would tell me "your skinny, so eat!" she never understood, but acted like she did. One day while I was about to through away an unwrapped nutrition bar, she took it from my hands and shoved it into my mouth. I nearly choked, I was lucky I had water. My anorexia worsened tremendously after this. Never force feed an anorexic/bulimic unless it's through IV's or shakes
My friends are always trying to get me to eat  And they always sit by me and tell me "eat. Eat. Eat. Eat." It makes me not want to eat even more, so I wouldn't do it. It may traumatize them, or even worse, choke them. It may make them feel even fatter, so try not to.