Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Healthy Weight

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Healthy Weight

I am 15 a year old girl, 5 foot and weigh around 102-104 pounds. Ive had problems with starving myself in the past and right now my starving and bingeing cycle is out of control. My parents dont know about it because im good at hiding it. My question is, would 90 pounds be considered healthy for me? I feel i would be happier and more in control at that weight.
Sorry to hear you are struggling so much.  The number on the scale unfortunately does not offer happiness.  Happiness comes from within.  By listening to and honoring the body’s thirst, hunger, emotions, physical needs, dreams, etc., a person finds happiness.  The mind does not need to tell the body the weight it needs to be.  The body finds it’s own natural weight range.  It would be wise to let your parents in on your eating struggle.  It only gets worse, not better.  Wishing you happiness, Patricia Pitts, PhD  The Bella Vita  Los Angeles, CA
It wouldn't be a very healthy weight for you to be honest. Also, I myself have an eating disorder. It's at the point now where I am very sick. Currently waiting to have tests done because now I'm malnutritiin, my stomach is shutting down and I've been admitted to hospital 3 times due to being so sick now. The abdominal pain is constant and can become so bad that I can't walk. My parents know about my eating disorder. Especially now. There was still not a lot they could do about it before hand either. I'm just telling you all of this because once you become ill from having an eating disorder it's serious business. Doctors won't be able to determine anything or help if you're also not open about the eating disorder not to mention I'm now at the point where I'm so sick really all the damage has been done and there is nothing they can really do about it. I just don't want any of this to happen to you because it is hell. I've been this sick now for over a month, and I've been getting worse and worse. No better. And everyone is doing the best they can to help and so far nothing. It's not worth it. And it's sad because I still am obsessive about my weight and here I am dieing because of the damage I've done to myself. I can't attend my college graduation because of how sick I am, and I've basically had to put my life on hold now until they can help treat me if they even can now, it may be too late. I can't go out. I'm constantly in bed and can hardly move. Just use my phone now to talk to my friends unless they come for a visit. I go on here with my mobile to check everyday if there is something that can be done to help me. My dates with my boyfriend now consist of him visiting my bedside. We haven't gone out on an actual date in almost a months time. It's not how I thought this would be. I'm saying all of this because I think you need to get some help with you're eating disorder before its too late like me. You're only 15 and have such a life ahead of you. I'm 20, mine has just begun but I can't even live it because I'm in bed sick. It's depressing. I don't want to see the same happen to anyone else. Hence this huge a$$ message lol. You're a beautiful girl and you don't need to continue this. Please get some help before its too late. I'm not saying it to be mean, I just know if you don't stop you're going to end up in this stage. Practically waiting for your organs to shut down and stuck in bed 24/7. I have had depression before all of this and since I've been sick its become much worse. You don't want to end up like this. I promise you that.
I hope something has been found to help you.  If not find a holistic doctor or chiropractor in your area.  There are many natural choices that may help.  I myself have always had better luck with natural doctors over medical.  I did not suffer with anorexia/ bulimia, but I have watched my mother suffer with it.  If you can find some spiritual peace inner power, belief in Christ something like that it will really help.  I have my own beliefs and would be glad to share.  I am so happy you are trying to help others :).  If you need help finding some natural doctors please ask.