Eating Disorders Community
Hiccups and tighness in chest while eating.
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

Font Size:
Blank Blank

Hiccups and tighness in chest while eating.

I am an 82 year old man and experience hiccups and tightness in my chest only when eating. What can I do to relieve these symptons?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Avatar f tn
This is not an eating disorder though I think you might find the awnser you are looming for in the undisguised fourms. Posts are Usualy awnsered at about midnight eastern time just so you don't think you won't get an awnser. Best of luck finding your awnser!
1339332 tn?1329857966
Dear Mr. Sicohen:

Another MedHelp member posted a question about similar (although more numerous and extensive) symptoms in the Gastroenterology Expert Forum in the very distant past (2003). This is the link to his question and to the reply that was made by a physician, Dr. Kevin Pho:

I've cut and pasted the doctor's reply below although I recommend that you use the link above to read both the member's inquiry and all the replies that were posted.
by Kevin Pho, MD, May 01, 2003 12:00AM
Hello - thanks for asking your question.

You note upper GI discomfort (burning in the chest area) radiating to the back, bloating, gas, as well as hyperthyroidism.  The pain is brought on by eating.  

The GI symptoms are known as dyspepsia - simply defined as upper GI discomfort.  Causes can include an ulcer, inflammation of the stomach and esophagus, GERD, or cancer.  Other potential causes include gall bladder diseases or pancreatitis.  

You stated you are interested in non-invasive tests.  I would suggest a liver panel, blood tests for H Pylori (a bacteria associated with ulcers and inflammation of the stomach), and amylase/lipase for the pancreas.  

For non-invasive imaging, an ultrasound can be performed to evaluate the gall bladder.  

However, with your age (50), I would strongly suggest an upper endoscopy.  Although not quite non-invasive, this would be the most definitive test to make sure there is not an ulcer, inflammation, or cancer that is causing your symptoms.

Followup with your personal physician is essential.

This answer is not intended as and does not substitute for medical advice - the information presented is for patient education only. Please see your personal physician for further evaluation of your individual case.

Kevin, M.D.

Also, though your symptoms are most likely to be of a gastrointestinal origin, I think that it's important that you be aware that many of the nerves involving the heart, esophagus and stomach are interconnected. As a result, eating can sometimes cause cardiac (heart) symptoms and cardiac conditions can sometimes cause gastrointestinal symptoms. While cardiac problems are usually provoked by physical exertion or emotional stress, and it would be unlikely that they'd be precipitated ONLY by eating, it is not impossible. Given your advanced age (82 year young!), I'd urge you to see your primary physician to assure that no heart problems, ulcers, cancer or other serious problems are at play.
Post a Comment
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eating Disorders Community Resources