Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Possible eating disorder?

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Possible eating disorder?

I am a 13 year old girl. I am about 5 ft 2 and about 84 pounds. I have been told my BMI is approximately 14.5,which is considered underweight. I do eat,but not meals. I am more like a sugar junkie,i eat chocolate,crisps,basically all the junk food. I don't eat breakfast in a morning as i can't handle it,i gag even looking at food in a morning. I don't eat dinner at school. The first meal of the day i have is when i get home from school at 3:30 pm and have a meal at around 4-5 pm. Then after that,it is back to the junk food. I am always tired,and weak. I have really poor circulation. My under eyes always look tired and i have blurred vision. But even when i look at myself in the mirror,i see myself as fat. I don't want to concern my parents and make them worried about me,what can i do? Thanks
Have your parents made any concerning statements to you?  As a parent of two myself, I would much rather have my child tell me she is struggling than be all alone in pain.  A parent’s job is to be there for their children and deal with their own feelings.  You obviously have strong concerns about your eating behaviors and your physical symptoms.  And rightfully so.  If you prefer not to go to your parents at first, seek out the support of your school counselor or pastoral counselor.  They can assist you in taking the necessary steps.  In the meantime, to learn more about eating disorders and treatment options, visit the bella vita website.  Very best to you, Dr Patricia Pitts, PhD   The Bella Vita  Los Angeles, CA