Eating Disorders Community
Recovered from eating disorder but still no period?

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

I am 19 years old and have had an eating disorder for 7 years. I was anorexic for 3 years, bulimic for 2 and somewhere in between for the other 2. I got my period once when I was 13 (bmi of 20.5) I stopped getting it as soon as my bmi went under 20. then I didn't get it again until I was 17 years old. When I finally got it again I had gained all the weight I had lost and was at a bmi of 22. I had it for about a year and now its been about 6 months that I haven't gotten it. I am not pregnant and my bmi is still above 21. (I eat normally now and do not purge) Is there a reason I am not menstruating and that I have always had a hard time with it? Also, when I did get my period it was always for only 2 days and I would only spot. Thank you for your help.
Hi!
Well this would need to be looked into, especially since you have been having really scanty periods. If pregnancy is ruled out, then scanty periods can be due to hypothyroidism, birth control pills, Cushing’s disease and disorders of adrenal gland, liver metabolism disorders affecting the levels of estrogen and progesterone and PCOD. Emotional stress and prolonged illness can be a cause, and yes, eating disorders can be considered as prolonged illness. If other causes are ruled out then maybe supplementation or proteins, iron, vitamins etc will help restart proper periods.
Other possibilities are pelvic inflammatory disease, infection (fungal or otherwise) and STD. Please consult a gynecologist. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.