Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Severely Underweight

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Severely Underweight

Hi, I'm not sure if this is the right forum to post in but I think it is. Anywho, I'm 17 and about 5' 3" I weight around 80 lbs. could be more or a little less. I'll edit it if I can when I check later (on my phone at the moment.) I apologize in advance if I word things in a peculiar way, I'm not good with words.

Moving on, I've always been skinny and it bothers me a lot. I've never had any worry about gaining weight and I wouldn't mind gaining weight. The only thing I can really think about that gets in my way of gaining weight would be my extreme pickiness of foods. I don't really like veggies or fruits and I also don't eat much, not because I don't want to but because I get full after not eating much. Like, I could eat maybe a bowl of soup or a sandwich and be full.

I probably should start eating vegetables and fruits but I also seem to be... scared or afraid of them I guess? I know it's rather silly but I always gag when I try to eat them or accidentally eat them. I know it's also something a child would usually do.. but I don't know what to do about it. ):

I've had a lot of self conscious problems due to my weight and it's just really bothered me. I'm sorry for the lengthy post! If anyone has tips or suggestions it would be greatly appreciated! I'll try to reply back but I'm new and have no idea how these forums work. I was just wondering if this is normal or if I should be worried. S:

Thank you for reading.
I am delighted you posted your thoughts and feelings.  Although it seems to you that you want to gain weight, it sounds like a number of things are holding you back.  When a person is at a low body weight it makes it difficult to think clearly and function effectively.  There are a lot of things that could help you.  And it sounds like doing it on your own has not worked.  It would be wise for you to seek out professional help to help you understand how to make progress.  You could start with seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders.  Best, Patricia Pitts, PhD  The Bella Vita  Los Angeles, CA
Thank you for your reply! Yeah, I'm starting to work on my weight now and I'm using the diet tracker app from this site. It's helping a lot and I appreciate your thoughts on my question. I probably will look into getting professional help but I don't think I can start anything at the moment, too many things going on but I will definitely consider it. Thanks again. <3