Eating Disorders Community
Shooting leg pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

Shooting leg pain

Hi....

I have an eating disorder. I've been referred to an ED clinic but I've not been diagnosed. I'd probably fall under ED-NOS as although my BMI is decreasing as a result of restriction, it's still just about in a healthy range, probably as I binge sometimes as well.

Anyway, last night I was kept awake all night from leg cramps. Every five or ten minutes I would get a shooting pain at the back of my right leg (the calf). It still hasn't gone away and I've been experiencing this all day. It only lasts for a couple of seconds but it's really painful.

I don't know if this could be a symptom of the ED of if it's just a trapped nerve, irritaed muscle or anything really. I had blood work done a few weeks ago to check I'm not missing any vital minerals but it came back clear... I don't know if anything could have changed in two weeks. I don't know if I should be worried or not.

Megon
Hi! It might be a good idea to have some labs done to see if your electrolytes are okay. This happens to me. I haven't always known what's been wrong, but sometimes I do know that it's caused by my electrolytes being off balance. I encourage you to stay hydrated, and just in case, eat foods with potassium such as bananas.

Thanks!
They stopped after a couple of days and I haven't had pain since so hopefully it's all okay. I had blood taken a couple of weeks back and they were all okay. My GP is monitoring my phyical health and so far the eating disorder hasn't caused damage. Thankfully!

Thank you for your reply!

Megon
I'm glad you're doing better! =)
Hi, something similar used to happen to me throughout my bulimia. My right calf used to swell almost twice its normal size and it would stay like that for sometimes an hour up to 2 days :( It freaked me out, so I looked online and saw that it was because I had low, off balance electrolytes and there could be poor circulation to my heart as well. So I started downing water allot more, and always drinking at least 2 full water bottles after b/p. It went away, and now that I have been b/p free for 3 days I realize how scary and serious that really was. Bulimia isn't worth ruining your body over. I wish you tons of luck with recovery as well. You can do it :)