Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Stomach Issues.. Result of my Eating Disorder?

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

I will be turning 24 in July. I developed an eating disorder when I was 16 years old. For the most part I have been bulimic but have switched back and forth between restricting and purging. I used to purge everything I ate. Everything. Sometimes I would purge up to 11 times a day. I still do purge but sometimes I can go a week without purging. For years I have had trouble with my stomach. I feel as if I am constantly bloated. When I eat the smallest thing I become bloated and I feel like I constantly have gas. I am also not having regular bowel movements. At times, I can go for a week (maybe more) without having a single one. As embarrassing as it sounds, usually if I start drinking alcohol, that's when I can have a bowel movement.

I am so sick of feeling like this. The only time I remember having a flat stomach was when i was restricting my food and as badly as I don't want to do that, it seems extremely tempting sometimes.

I eat a very healthy diet. I eat granola, fruit and yogurt or flax cereal with almond milk for breakfast. Spinach salad with chicken or fish for lunch and for dinner it is usually something like salad, fish/chicken and rice.

I have mentioned this to my doctor but he just tells me to take metamucil. I tried that for a while and I feel like it helped somewhat, but I don't want to have to rely on something to be normal and I want to make sure that nothing is wrong with me. I've been throwing up constantly for years... there has to be some damage that has been done.

I would say right now, I am purging 3-6 times a week. Is stopping completely the only way to make this go away?

I just ate yogurt with granola and a banana and a cup of coffee. I feel really full and uncomfortable... I thought eating right was supposed to make you feel good? This is why I can't get over my eating disorder. it's too uncomfortable...

any advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks.
1 Comment
Hi there. I don't have an eating disorder but I've had stomach issues for years now. It started with constipation and very uncomfortable bloating, and I'm pretty sure it was related to my poor dietary choices. That's when I completely changed my diet and start eating the right foods. That's when everything got 454 times worse. My body went into shock I believe because it wasn't accustomed to healthy food. I think you just need to continue to force the healthy food down so your body can learn how to digest it again. It will probably be hard at first and the symptoms might get worse, but I'm sure it will adapt to a proper diet and will definitely be better than purging for the rest of your life.