Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Stress Induced Anorexia?

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Stress Induced Anorexia?

I was wondering if there was such a thing as stress induced anorexia?
I'm fifteen, and honestly never had a real problem when it came to my weight.
Recently, I was put into foster care, a new home, and a new school.  That on top of the stresses of leaving my friends and mom are really taking a toll on me.
I can barely eat anything without feeling sick, getting sick, or having to go to the bathroom 20-30 minutes later.
It hurts when I eat now, and when I try to eat, I eat very little.
I'm also bipolar and have extreme depressions which I think has something to do with it.  When I get depressed, I either over eat, or don't eat much at all.
But it's never gotten to the point where it hurts to eat or I can't hold down the food.
I weighed 130 lbs before this happened, about 135 a week after, and I'm estimating that I'm about 115-120 at the moment.
That's been over a course of 3 weeks.  
Some people have been telling me to try to eat small things throughout the day so I can get used to taking food again, and that's something that I'm going to try.
My family and caseworker's are worried that I'm losing too much weight but I don't know how to really deal with it.

So basically, the point is, could this be related to my stress and/or depression?  What can I do to help me be able to eat and hold things down better?  And what are the best foods to eat in order to gain a few more pounds?
This is not really anorexia, but a stress related sensitive stomach and irritable bowel, and you should ask your caseworker about seeing a doctor to treat you for irritable bowel syndrome.

Of course this is brought on by stress, and some therapy to get through this transition, some medications for your bowel, and some antidepressants is what you need.  Talking ot a nutritionist might also help.