Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Sudden Burper and Trouple Eating

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Sudden Burper and Trouple Eating

Hello there, I'm a 17 year old female, I have no serious medical problems and I'm in good health aside from asthma and mild Eczema.

Now growing up burping was rare for me (It was normally flatulence.) but around July of 2012 that changed. I had gotten an unusual case of the hiccups; they were causing me pain and my eyes to tear. After a half day they stopped. Then after the incident I'm not sure how long. I had a meal. While I was swallowing I was feeling a great deal of pain in my chest, It was like something was trapped (like air) in my esophagus. I felt like I really needed to burp but nothing was coming out. I think I was choking. Then after time I was slowly able to burp a little bit and the pain went away each time.
Now to this day I've been burping instead of farting. (Better up the attic then the basement) This was something I didn't mind but now I have an eating problem. When I eat to fast or don't fully chew foods the same choking feeling I detailed above happens again. One time while I was eating noodles, I was choking so bad that I threw up what was stuck in my throat and I could see that it was unchewed food.
This problem is not very controllable and it can occur even when I chew properly. I would really like to know what exactly happened to me.

Thank you,
Hi there! Thanks for writing.  The physical symptoms you are describing (choking feeling, chest pains, etc) are causes for concern. I recommend you make an appointment with a physician as soon as possible to assess for any medical issues. If in addition to this referral you would like to explore possible emotional or psychological causes, I recommend making an appointment with a therapist in your area. Best to you, Dr. Patricia Pitts. The Bella Vita  Los Angeles, CA
Nuts, I accidently placed this in the wrong category.