Eating Disorders Expert Forum
Unable to eat at certain times?

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

Unable to eat at certain times?

Recently it seems that I've had some trouble eating. I'm not sure what causes it but when I'm in public it seems to be worst. When I try to eat in public I get this overwhelming nausea that forces me to resist eating. I'm not afraid to eat and I don't believe im overweight and im also not afraid to eat in front of people. It seems that I begin to feel nauseous and then I try to think about it to stop it but I make myself nervous trying to stop it because I don't want to get sick (I'm also not afraid to throw up its just I'd rather not) help please?
Can you pinpoint anything that happened recently that is causing you trouble eating?  It can be a loss, a disappointment, a change in circumstances, etc.  You may have some anxiety that is causing the symptoms you seek of.  If you can identify and address what might be bothering you coupled with practicing relaxation skills you symptoms may resolve.  The calmer you are about what you are going through the better.  Anxiety breeds anxiety.  When one is calm, they are not anxious.  Breathing, being mindful, progressive relaxation, and self-soothing are just a few ways to calm yourself.  Best, Patricia Pitts, PhD  The Bella Vita  Los Angeles, CA
hey there..I think we have something in common but just that I'm thin and can't seem to eat in public too. I do feel like vomiting when I'm eating out. I'm here to seek some help too. But when I'm with certain friends I tend to eat fine and eat quite a lot too.
fistly you need to go to your gp and have practical physical tests to rule out physical reasons you can't eat properly, then go the FEAST website, atdt  forum will have all the answers and support you need