Eating Disorders Community
anorexia is it harder after u hit 40

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

anorexia is it harder after u hit 40

Im 43 ive struggled with anorexia/bulimia since i was 18. My weight has always been arund 100. I still restrict eating only one meal a day yet now that im in my 43 its harder to lose. Someone once told me once u hit 40's its impossible to manage ur weight. Is this true?

This discussion is related to Metabolism problems after anorexia recovery--Please help!.
Hi!
No, it is not impossible to lose weight after 40 yrs, but yes, it is slightly difficult due to hormonal changes of pre-menopause. Since you have been struggling with weight issues and are not eating much, there is a chance you have problems like PCOD, diabetes, hypothyroidism or anemia, which are making it difficult for you to lose weight. Please get this investigated. Also, please consult a psychologist dealing with eating disorders. Controlling this eating disorder along with exercise, and eating right and treating any medical problem that you may have can help you lose weight effectively. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
thank u u had mentioned to be checked foor PCOD whats that?
multiple cysts on ovary commonly called polycystic ovary.
Hi there.  I'm 54 years young and have suffered from basically all of the eating disorders for the last 30 years.  I was a very overweight child, went on first 'diet' at 17, 'diet' worked so well I ended up anorexic and hospitalised.  I've suffered every ED since then but mostly the last five years I've been severly restricting.  Like you only one meal a day and that's usually veg soup, that's all.  Most Def DEF more difficult to lose weight when you get older, that's my opnion.  I'm 5ft tall and weigh six and a half stone (approx 86llb).  I know I've shattered my metabolisim to pieces, it's non existant and this is the reason I couldn't lose weight even if I wanted to, which I actually don't!!  While I would prefer to remain the same weight, I would like very much to eat more 'normally', ah that elsuive word - 'normal'!!  It would take a lot of courage to eat 'healthy' food in bigger quantities and more often, thus slowly regaining a working metabolisim.  However because of my anorexic mindset I'd find this just far too difficult a task and so I guess I'll have to stay where I am.  I would really like to take this opportunity to advise all the young folk out there NOT to go down the restricting/starving road as it DOES NOT work long term.  All you will end up with is a damaged body, as mine is, osteprosis (brittle bones), teeth falling out/hair also and no children because thats what starving does - stops you having kids!  So................................take better care of yourselves please!  X