Eating Disorders Community
anorexia nervosa & edema

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

anorexia nervosa & edema

Has anoyone with malnutrition induced edema (facial and extremeties) found any good over the counter remedies or supplements?    Diuretics are not recommended for obvious cardiac reasons but I am wondering if anyone has had success taking anything for bloating.  Any help is greatly appreciated.   Please DO NOT respond if you are simply going to say "EAT."    This is obvious.
-4 Comments Post a Comment
If your feeling bloated I suggest you take Lasix... Its a powerful water retention pill that is sold in Mexico. I take it daily and I urinate a lot sometimes to much.
Hi Dora,   thanks very much for the advice about lasix.   I will try it ... is there a site for ordering online that you've found reliable?

Take care & really like your pics!

Q.P.
Just a mention Lasix is a diuretic and should only be used on dectors prescription.
please take care.

Mesister
Lasix and Diuretics serve the same purpose, they are used to rid water from our bodies, not retain it.  They need to be used very carefully as they can thow off electrolyte balance leading to serious cardiac problems.  I would not take these without first consulting your primary care physician.
taking lasix could be fatal to you.  This drug works on the kidneys and can cause renal failure.  It also causes your body to lose potassium.  This can send someone who has poor nutrition into a fatal arrythmia and possibly cardiac arrest.  The reason you are bloated (edema) is due to low protein in your blood from malnutrition.  This oncotic or protein pressure if you will, causes water to rush out of your cells and into the space that lies out of your blood cells.  This makes the false assurance that you are in water excess when you are actually dehydrated.  So what to do?  If eating for you is truly too difficult there are injections and some IV protein or nutrition that you can take to make the edema better.  Having sufficient protein or nutrition is the best line of therapy.  Please consult your doctor- they will help you!!!  If you are too afraid to go to a midlevel nurse practitioner or physician assistant and they are much less intimidating and more compassionate.  Just get help and you will notice a drastic improvement.  DO NOT TAKE ANY DIURETICS