Eating Disorders Community
anorexic

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

anorexic

hi,  
my daughter has had an eating disorder for the past 7 years, if not more,  she has just graduated, top of her class in pharmacy school.  when she first let me know she had a problem, was when she started college. so my husband (her dad) thought she could recover on her own.  we thought she was on her road to recovery and now she is telling me she can't do it alone anymore.  what is therapist going to do for her or say to her, that i can't.  please help me so i can get her better.  

Thank you
Nancy
***@****
hi,                 as a person who has an ed   i think that you shuldnt think of it as what can a theripist do that i cant     eating disorders are complex and i know for me personally its hard to talk to my family about my ed   i tend to feel guilty  and like they dont understand my family seems to think that im somehow doing things just to hurt them.     talking to a theripist was easier . and more helpful  so i think if your daughter is asking for help dont hesitate  get her too a theripist that specializes in eating disorders     good luck to you and your daughter i hope she gets better :)
A therapist who specializes in eating disorders will know techniques that can help your daughter with recovery and also has some pretty useful resources if your daughter were to need any other type of therapy or treatment to help her with her recovery (nutritionists, cognitive behavioral therapists etc). A therapist will know how to approach her disorder and work with her and help you help her as well. With therapy if given the process the time, effort and chance can really help peel the layers and get down to the root of things and can teach you new healthier ways to cope with every thing and tools that could potentially help prevent her from slipping back into the habit she is trying to overcome which is important in recovery, but after those sessions support is still needed. She would probably have some alone sessions and there would also be family sessions as well, so you would not be left out of the process. The damage eating disorders do to the body is nothing to take lightly and if left without having the proper care or treatment can be fatal. The professional help could possibly save her life. Good luck!
hi,
I've been strugling with an ed for some time now, and I siply can't talk about it with my parents. I feel like they don't understand me and they're forcing me to eat. This is a disease that someone can't solve all by its own. Realize that your daughter is (most probably) thinkin about food, every second of the day. It causes a lot of stress.
My parents say things like: I'm not sure if you eat enough. I do told them I was anorexic. One of the simptoms is having cold feet and fingers all the time. I told my dad I was cold and he simply said: you should eat more.
these things hurt me a lot and sometimes I spend all day crying in my room.
Pleez think about this, some normal sayings in life can crash the mind of your daughter.
She should really get a therapist, because those people know how to handle it.
-xxx-