Eating Disorders Community
anyone else that can't swallow water?
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

anyone else that can't swallow water?

I go to take a drink of water or other things and my throat closes...I can hear it trying to go down. It starts to become a sharp pain. Sometimes I have to throw up or it will release and go down. Happening more frequently. Hurts from chest through to my back and up into my neck sometimes when this happens.
351246_tn?1379685732
Hi!
It is difficult to comment without examining. The most probable cause in your case based entirely on the symptoms you mentioned are oropharyngeal dysphagia (which is closest to your feeling of food going down or coming up—and your need to throw up) which occurs due to neurological problems like MS, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson’s disease, brain or spinal cord injury.
If you do not have any of the above neurological problems then there is a huge chance that you have achalasia as you also feel some amount of regurgitation. This occurs when your lower esophageal muscle (sphincter) doesn't relax properly to let food enter your stomach. Specific tests for diagnosis of achalasia include barium swallow and esophageal manometry (or motility study). You should chew food slowly with water, raise head end of bed, take proton pump inhibitors and maybe you will need surgery. Take care!
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Eating Disorders Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
233488_tn?1310696703
Blank
New Cannabis Article from NORTH Mag...