Eating Disorders Expert Forum
binge eating

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

binge eating

I've always suffered from binge eating. 3 months ago I tried Meridia, and it was wonderful. I do not like to take medicines...therefore I stopped taking Meridia, but sometimes I take one for a few days when I believe I'm eating too much....but as soon as i stop taking it, I go back to the same old habits. Do you know of something similar that I can take w/o the same side effects...mainly increased heart beats
All of the appetite suppressant drugs will increase your heart rate...it's your cravings and appetite that are the problem, and what most people have a hard time understanding is that cravings are created by your brain out of the stresses in your life...stress becomes hunger..it's like a switch...until you have a full understanding of exactly how that works for you, you won't be able to control your hunger or binges....go to www.shrinkyourself.com and find out more about that.
Weight loss meds and fads don't work long-term.  Once you stop taking them, etc you regain the weight.  In order to lose weight and keep it off you will need to change your behavior and thinking.
My advice would be to put your energy into understanding why you overeat.
Dr Gould has some programs available for that.  You could check out his recent blog entry by clicking on the expert activity part on the right of your screen.  Or visit another of his sites at:  shrinkyourself.com which has a lot of useful info.