Eating Disorders Community
bulimia and black stool and black vomit

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

bulimia and black stool and black vomit

I posted this in another forum but this might be the best one.  Ok so this is sort of complicated.  First of all, I am 28 and have been sort of bulimic since I was 13 or 14.  But not consistently (is there such thing as intermittent bulimia?) and had stopped for quite a while.  Also, I have depression and a lot of anxiety.  I was drinking a LOT for a while and stopped that, when I began dieting this time, because alcohol is fattening.  I had started having black stool and vomit I thought from drinking too much. I saw my doc and was prescribed some medication and eventually it felt better, she said I may have had an ulcer.  But the black stool and vomit are back, but I haven't been drinking.  Can this be caused by throwing up?  I don't do it very often.  And also, I don't binge.  So I guess it isn't really bulimia since I don't ever binge.  

I just started a new anti-depressant (Viibryd) and it isn't working.  I feel the same.  Actually I guess I feel a little better but all I can think about is jumping off a bridge or in front of a train.  I am at a total loss about what to do.  I am already in therapy but I can't tell her about the throwing up.  Or about the thoughts of jumping off something.

So I guess my question is, what now?
I laughed at intermittent Bulimia! That sounds like me and is a perfect name. I was hard core anorexic and bilimic when i was 17-20. Now i just throw up every once in a while if i eat too much or am stressed out. Im sure your DR told you that the black stool and vomit is blood. When Blood is digested it turns a tarry black color. Even if you stopped drinking and only puke sometimes, you could have a sore that hasnt been able to heal and it could be bleeding for a number of reasons. Exercise, Acidic foods, occasional throwing up. Did your Dr suggest an ultrasound or catscan? Youre the patient and know when something doesnt feel right. Ask your Dr about these things. I have also been on anti depressants, 6 differint ones actually and none worked. Dont give up hope on feeling better. I was addicted to pills for 3 years and am now 20 days clean. Things can get better, just keep holding on. You can friend me on here, Im here to help in anyway i can. There are people all over this world who care about what happens to you. We've never met and probably never will, but im here if you need to talk.