Eating Disorders Expert Forum
eating in the middle of the night

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

eating in the middle of the night

How do I stopp eating after I've gone to bed. I wake up a couple of time's at night to grab something to eat. I don't do this if I'm spending the night at my family's home.
sounds like emotional loneliness..safe at home with family..unsafe alone...work on your personal development...go to www.myvirtualshrink.com to do that...
Your answer was some what helpful. I did not mention I live with my 80 year old father.
He is alway's grumpy.
I sometimes wake up at 2:00 am in the morning eating pizza, chicken, you name it I sometimes use the excuse i eat a lot so the food won't go bad even though the expiration date is months away. Its the same thing with liquids drinking soda 12:00 am at night.
A grumpy parent, in my opinion, can also leave you feeling alienated.

My father was picking his nose, burping and farting and hovering over me yesterday.  I found myself in the kitchen stuffing myself and my emotions with food.
Food didn't accomplish anything (much) but left me feeling dissatisfied (and tense).
I was actually just wondering whether retreating to the kitchen was like taking refuge somewhere safe.  A lot of people view the kitchen as being a woman's domain.  ??

Anyway, I don't think the grumpy (or disgusting) parent is as important as our perception of them and events.

The doctor has some good information.  I would strongly encourage you to check out his website.

To Printer989.  I get the sense that your issue has a slightly different origin (although I suspect that most things will inevitably come back to the same core emotion).
I get a sense of obsessiveness.  Maybe I am reminded a little of my own behavior when I view foods as either good or bad or when I justify eating the remainder of something (a meal, a packet of biscuits, chips, lollies, etc) by saying that my 'diet' (healthy lifestyle) begins tomorrow.  Maybe it's just permission we give ourselves to receive nurturing.

I don't have any qualms about encouraging people to take advantage of the doctor's expertize (except when he appears overloaded).

If you have a question you could ask that and/ or check out the web address he supplied.

I don't have the problem, thankfully, of nighttime eating.  I was wondering what could be the difference.  Perhaps nighttime's are the only time some people truly get to themselves.  I'm currently not working so I get all day to ruminate and over-eat.  =(  Having a lot of time available can allow us to reflect on our lives and our unfulfilled needs.  I guess that can leave us feeling unfulfilled and lonely.

Definitely check out the doctor's website.