Eating Disorders Expert Forum
effexor xr and weight loss

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

effexor xr and weight loss

I have been prescribed effexor xr for depression.  My doctors says that it willl also curb my appetite, because Iam an emotional eater and suffer major depression and have tend to eat more.  I have had some mitigating factors in the last few months that have kept me majorly depressed and gained over 30 lbs.  Is this true that the effexor will treat my depression as well as decrease my appetite.  Has anyone else had this experience?
It is true that effexor is a good antidepressant, and since it has some stimulant aspect, may help with your appetite; but sometimes its the opposite, so you can't rely on that mechanism.  Emotional eating behavior is very tough to change on your own, and depression makes it more difficult, but if you want to get some help with sorting all this out, you can go to my website or read my book about the subject...I know what you need to do, and if you are ready, its a step by step process....www.shrinkyourself.com
For myself, I was prescribed Effexor for depression-I had perhaps some improvement, but my eating got way out of control. I was binge eating as never before-whole boxes, dozens of this or that, whole cartons, buy not one, but 3 or more items-and eat them all. I ballooned up to 372 (my all time high weight). This had such a negative effect on my depression and self esteem.
So as Dr Gould mentioned-and as I found out, not everyone has the same effects from medications (be that beneficial or negative).  I finally said "enough already" to my Psychiatrist-I wanted off the Effexor-but I felt dreadful when it was tapered down, and a couple of times had to increase slightly dose and then resume a bit later. That is one medication, I will not take again.