Eating Disorders Community
gag reflex issues

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

gag reflex issues

i am not even sure where this issue fits but hopefully ill get an answer.

so all my life ive had a sensitive gag reflex. going to the dentist, swimming, terrible smells, and a few other reasons would trigger my gag reflex. however its never been that bad, just super sensitive to the above factors. i just went to mexico for spring break and had what i think was very slight food poisoning. my stomache was always slightly queasy/nauseous and whenever i started drinking i would start dry heaving cause of my gag reflex. i thought that was normal at first, since my body obviously did not want alcohol. when i got back home though, my gag reflex was going crazy. every like 30 minutes to an hour i would feel myself about to dry heave and have had to hold back with water, mints, salt, and w/e else i could get my hands on. it really is reacting to nothing. for example while studying i suddenly started dry heaving. this really makes no sense to me and is getting quite irritating. does anyone know what is going with me?

thanks

There are so many possibilities can't even begin. The gag reflex with upset stomach can be worst in some people, don't think that's an issue. But wouldn't explain the rest. There is a chance it might be a sensitivity to specific foods or liquids you intake. Some foods can take hours to cause problems. Really no idea, best advice I can give is to visit your doctor. Keep a diary of all the foods you eat, regardless of how much and times, see if there is maybe a pattern? It might be acid, ect.. They may have medication to calm it down, I think a doctor could help identify it.
One more think

You wrote: swimming

Swimming in a fresh water lake, ocean, pool? There are large differences between the 3. Gag reflex in all the above or just one of them? Pools have chlorine, oceans have bacteria (fumes released) and lakes might have mold. They all release something different that can cause this reflex. If you have this reflex with all 3 don't know. Just know that odors, fumes, ect will cause reflex if you are sensitive. If you hold your breath while swimming do you reflex? I'm guessing maybe not until you breath?