Eating Disorders Community
implanon causing anorexia

This forum is for questions and support regarding Anorexia, Athletes, Binge Eating, Body Image, Bulimia, Causes of Eating Disorders, Dental Issues, Laxative Abuse, Male Eating Disorders, Media Images, Pregnancy, Support Groups, Teens

implanon causing anorexia

my beautiful daughter aged 16 developed anorexia shortly after having an implanon inserted. This is reported as a very rare event in the literature has anyone else had this experience as this is a major life threatening event!!??
After having the implanon implant put in I lost around 55lb in under 3 months which was quite horrific as I was only 126 to begin with. I was first mis-diagnosed with depression and having an eating disorder but later was diagnosed with an overactive thyroid.

I don't know if this is the same situation as what your daughter is going through but from my personal experience and friends I have spoken with, I know that various forms of birth control can cause hormonal imbalances that can lead to problems like depression.

I know around 15 girls/young women who had the implanon implant put in and all have had them taken out (I stuck it out the longest for a total of 2 years). Whatever the cause of your daughter's illness I really hope the two of you are able to work through it and I wish you all the best.