Eating Disorders Expert Forum
is this an eating disorder?

Questions in the Emotional Eating forum are answered by medical experts. Topics covered include eating disorders, anger and eating, anxiety and eating, binge eating, depression and eating, eating to "fit in", emotional eating, fill the void eating, guilt and eating, loneliness and eating, social eating, and stress and eating.

is this an eating disorder?

hi i am 12 an a girl an my diet only consists of very little fruits a veggies i cant eat meat and other things because of the texture and my mo gets so mad at me and says its all in my head and she forces me to try things and then i just throw it all back up and the texture bothers me and the smell and somtimes just the sight of a food can make me gag can someone help im so tired of this and it is interfereing with my social life last weekend i went to a friends house and i didnt eat the whole time because they didnt have anything i liked and im not over weight or anything please help .
I am so glad you are reaching out.  Something is definitely not right.  Please speak with your parents about it and seek out medical help immediately. Due to limited information, it is hard to say whether or not you have an eating disorder.  In addition to seeking out help medically, you should be evaluated by an eating disorder professional. Can you speak to your parent or a school counselor to assist you in getting the help you need?  In the meantime, to learn more about eating disorders and treatment options, visit The Bella Vita website.  While you are there you can take our eating disorder survey.  Very best to you, Dr Patricia Pitts, PhD The Bella Vita Los Angeles, CA
Try going vegan it's healthy yet restricted like most want it. Then it's also an excuse in a way vegan is no eggs, meat, or any dairy products.
You need to make sure you're getting enough protein and iron, etc. make sure you eat lots of DARK green vegetables. Learn about combining foods (rice/beans, rice/peas) for all 9 amino acids. Quinoa is a DELICIOUS grain that is a complete protein and very healthy. Also, you should probably start bringing food with you wherever you go so you're always able to eat. You'll stay healthier and doing so will combat negative assumptions about your diet choices, which should always be made in the spirit of health, not weight loss. AND TRY NEW THINGS!
Hi! Thanks for writing. There is too little information to know whether or not you are suffering from an eating disorder. In any case, it would be in your best interest to see a physician first to rule out any medical reasons that might be affecting your ability to keep the food down. It could also be helpful to see a therapist in your area to explore the issues around food and eating. It also sounds like there is some conflict between you and your mom. I can imagine she loves you and is scared underneath the frustration. It might help to get some family counseling to address any underlying issues. To learn more about eating disorders and treatment options, visit The Bella Vita website. Best, Dr Patricia Pitts, PhD The Bella Vita Los Angeles, CA